Monday, April 11, 2011

Audio Phile: The Tale of Despereaux (briefly)

Are you like me? 

Do you love a heartwarming and funny story performed enchantingly by a brilliant actor? 

Do you strive to 'read' more and make your driving time joyful or instructive by listening to books on CD or podcasts or downloaded audio books?

If so, you'll love the Newbery winning  Despereaux. 

I'm the one:  Until this week I'd not read it or seen the animated film.  I did, however, read and listen to Kate DiCamillo's wonderful - and quite different - Because of Winn Dixie a few years ago, so when I saw this on the shelf at our little local library branch/coffee shop/bakery, I snatched it up at once.

And am I glad I did.  Actor Graeme Malcolm is utterly enchanting, as is this tale of a tiny mouse with big ears who falls in love with the human Princess Pea.  Young Despereaux is punished for this interspecies transgression, but that's just the beginning of his tale.  When the deeply conflicted rat Chiaroscuro and his Machiavellian mentor Botticelli enlist the help of dim-witted serving girl Miggory Sow in a dastardly plot, Despereaux must muster his courtly courage to save Pea and prove his love.

If joy is on your list of springtime to-do's, you simply must listen to this one.

MFB,
L

Action Reader Step: I'm going to search my library's catalogue for other books read by Graeme Malcolm, and also search Netflix.  May is Malcolm Month in my house!  In addition, I'll post this review on Amazon and Goodreads.

FYI:  When I looked up Graeme Malcolm, I found that he is the audiobook reader for Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson, which I thoroughly enjoyed ("in the text", not audio) and reviewed this week!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...